The Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program provides support to the children of Defence families through on-site, direct and flexible assistance to students, parents, teachers and other support services.
Working within the school, the DSM provides social and emotional well-being to those students during their transition into and out of a school on posting or during parental absences due to deployment, exercises or courses.
Defence School Mentor activities can include:
- Assisting new children and their families to integrate into the school and local community
- Monitoring the social and emotional wellbeing of Defence students
- Assisting students develop self-confidence, self-reliance and resilience
- Referring students to services, or school and community programs that meet their needs
- Enhancing awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities and
- Providing support to children during times of parental absence.
Mount Claremont Primary school has received funding from the Department of Defence to run the DSM program 2 days a week since Term 3, 2018. The DSM is available on Thursday and Fridays each week during school terms.
Useful links for Defence Families:
Defence Special Needs Support Group http://dsnsg.org.au/
Defence Families Australia https://dfa.org.au/
Open Arms Veterans and Families Counselling https://www.openarms.gov.au/